What is Acetic Acid
Acetic Acid, also known as ethanoic acid or methanecarboxylic acid, is the active ingredient in vinegar, effective in multiple cooking and cleaning applications. It is used as a buffer in chemical reactions and solutions including protic solvents.
- Synonyms: Ethanoic acid or methanecarboxylic acid
- INCI: Acetic Acid
- Chemical formula: CH₃COOH or C2H4O2
- CAS #: 64-19-7
- Hazard: 8, Corrosive Liquid
- H226: Flammable liquid and vapor [Warning Flammable liquids]
- H314: Causes severe skin burns and eye damage [Danger Skin corrosion/irritation]
Buy Acetic Acid in Various Grades
Use the links below to view all package sizes for these specific products:
|Appearance||Clear colorless liquid|
|Oder||pungent vinegar odor|
|Solubilities:||Soluble in water|
|Boiling point||244.22°F (117.9°C)|
|Weight per gallon||8.7088|
|Grades||Glacial / Food Grade / USP / NF Grade / Kosher|
USES AND APPLICATIONS FOR ACETIC ACID
Acetic acid uses include acidulant, buffer, dyestuffs, electroplating, oil field service chemicals, oil well acidizing, photographic, textile.
- Coatings and Construction: Acetic acid is used for the manufacture of inks and dyes and it is also used in making perfumes. It is also involved in manufacturing of rubber and plastic industries.
- HI&I: It is used in the formulation of cleaning and disinfecting products.
- Pharmaceuticals: It is used as an antiseptic.
- Industrial: Acetic acid is used in many industrial processes for the production of substrates and it is often used as a chemical reagent for the production of a number of chemical compounds. It is also used to purify organic compounds as it can be used as a solvent for recrystallization.
Acetic Acid is a synthetic carboxylic acid with antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Knowing where to get acetic acid is probably just the beginning of your company’s chemical requirements, and Brenntag can fulfill them all in one place, with 10,000 products, a world-class and about 180,000 customers. We think you will find that the experience, global reach, inventory, and commitment to quality and safety inherent in all of our chemical distribution will fit in perfectly with your needs as a chemical supplier or the needs of your industry.
Brenntag is the established global market leader in ingredient and chemical distribution and can fully supply all your acetic acid and other chemical needs.
Acetic acid is available in drums, totes, and bulk quantities. You can view all acetic acid grades and package sizes on Brenntag Connect.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO NEXT
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.