What is Monoethanolamine
Monoethanolamine (MEA or ETA) is a colorless, viscous liquid, organic chemical compound also known as Ethanolamine. Its primary use is for feedstock in the production of detergents, emulsifiers, polishes, pharmaceuticals, corrosion inhibitors, and chemical intermediates.
- Synonyms: Ethanolamine, MEA, Monethanolamine
- INCI: Ethanolamine
- Chemical formula: C2H7NO
- CAS #:141-43-5
- Hazard: Corrosive and Harmful
Use the links below to view all package sizes for these specific products:
|Odor||Slight ammonia odor|
|Solubilities||Soluble in water|
|Boiling point||339.62 °F (170.9°C)|
|Freezing point||8.6°F (-13.0°C)|
|Molecular weight||61.08 g/mol|
|Weight per gallon||8.58 lbs/gal|
|Grades||Industrial, ACS, USP, NF Grade|
USES AND APPLICATIONS FOR MONOETHANOLAMINE
Monoethanolamine uses includes antiredeposition agent, buffer, carbon dioxide removal, cement, cosmetics, cutting fluid, detergents, hair care, hair colorants, hair relaxers, hydrogen sulfide removal, metalworking fluids, natural gas treating, neutralizing agent, oil field production chemicals, pharmaceuticals, printing ink, refinery, rubber - vulcanization accelerator, shampoo, textile finishes, waterless hand cleaners, wood treating.
- Pharmaceutical: It is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a pH adjuster and buffering agent. Ethanolamine oleate, a prescription drug, is a sclerosing agent. It works by creating scar tissue inside a swollen or dilated (wider than normal) vein to prevent bleeding.
- Personal Care: Ethanolamine helps to form emulsions by reducing the surface tension of the substances to be emulsified so that water-soluble and oil-soluble ingredients can be blended together. They are also used to control the pH of cosmetics and personal care products.
- Coatings and Construction: It is an important ingredient for wood preservative formulations. It is used to impregnate wood. It is also used to product cement grinding aids and performance enhancers which help in improving the cement quality.
- Others: It helps to remove Hydrogen Sulfide & Carbon Dioxide in Natural Gas & Liquid Gas Streams. Ethanolamines combine the properties of amines and alcohols and exhibit the unique capability of undergoing reactions common to both groups.
Monoethanolamine, also known as ethanolamine, MEA or 2-monoethanolamine, is a clear, viscous liquid chemical compound used in various manufacturing processes. The monoethanolamine family consists of various amino alcohols including dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine and several other antihistamines. The monoethanolamine production process constitutes creating a reaction between aqueous ammonia and ethylene oxide — the former ingredient produces monoethanolamine’s characteristic strong ammonia odor.
Brenntag North America is the “go-to” chemical source for companies across a broad spectrum of industries. In addition to carrying a large supply of premium monoethanolamine products, we provide a customer-focused business approach designed to enhance your company’s manufacturing capabilities and boost your bottom line. You can always count on us for the most innovative supply chain solutions in our industry.
Brenntag will work with you to develop custom chemical blends for your unique applications and provide capable new product development assistance when needed. And with more than 190 strategically located facilities across North America and just-in-time delivery service, you will never experience excessive inventory costs.
Monoethanolamine is available in pails, metal drums, totes, tank trucks in variable quantities.
You can download a copy of the SDS for monoethanolamine from Brenntag Connect.
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.