WHAT IS FUMARIC ACID
Fumaric acid (C4H4O4) is an organic acid widely found in nature and is a component of organic biosynthesis is humans. Chemically, it is an unsaturated dicarboxylic acid. It exists as white or nearly white crystals, odorless with a very tart taste. Fumaric acid is generally nontoxic and nonirritant. Fumaric acid has been used in food and beverage products since the 1940s.
- Synonyms: Fumaric acid trans-1,2-Ethylenedicarboxylic acid 2-Butenedioic acid trans-butenedioic acid Allomaleic acid Boletic acid Donitic acid Lichenic acid
- INCI: Fumaric Acid
- Chemical formula: C4H4O4
- CAS #: 110-17-8
- Hazard: • H319 – Causes eye irritation
Use the links below to view all package sizes for these specific products:
|Appearance||White granular or White Crystalline Powder|
|Solubilities||Alcohol, Acetone, Ether|
|Boiling point||522 °C|
|Molecular weight||116.07 g/mol|
|Class||Acid, Acidulant, Dry Acid|
|Grades||FCC, Food grade, Kosher|
USES AND APPLICATIONS FOR FUMARIC ACID
Fumaric acid uses include acidulant, alkyd resin, food additive, polyester resins.
- Personal Care: Fumaric acid is used in cosmetic preparations as a buffer substance to stabilize a PH value. In the cosmetic industry, it is used as a bath salt cleaning agent for dentures.
- Pharmaceutical: Fumaric acid is used in oral pharmaceutical formulations and has been used clinically in the treatment of psoriasis.
- Food and Nutrition: Fumaric Acid is used for food additives and acidifiers. It is used as an acidifier for snack foods, ramen, seasonings, candies, puddings, breads, jellies, etc. It is used for regulating the acidity of fruits and vegetables and for preserving foods. Fumaric Acid can economically acidify wine with no detectable difference in flavor. It also is used in animal feeds.
- Industrial: Fumaric Acid is used to manufacture unsaturated polyester resins (UPR), alkyd resins and plasticizers. It is also used in printing inks and paper sizing. Fumaric acid is used in the manufacture of polyester resins and polyhydric alcohols and as a mordant for dyes.
- Coatings and Construction: Fumaric acid is used as a raw material in paints for musical instruments, woodworks, structure, ships and brdiges, car interior and exterior products.
Fumaric acid — also known as trans-butenedioic acid — is a vital ingredient in plants, and it is produced by the human skin when the skin is exposed to natural sunlight.
Knowing where to get fumaric acid is probably just the beginning of your company’s chemical requirements, and Brenntag can fulfill them all in one place, with 10,000 products, a world-class and about 180,000 customers. We think you will find that the experience, global reach, inventory and commitment to quality and safety inherent in all of our chemical distribution will fit in perfectly with your needs as a chemical supplier or the needs of your industry.
Your best approach will be to contact Brenntag North America. Brenntag is the established global market leader in ingredient and chemical distribution and can fully supply all your fumaric acid and other chemical needs.
Fumaric acid is available in 55 lb bag and 50 lb bag.
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.