WHAT IS BUTYL ACETATE
Butyl acetate appears naturally in fruits such as apples, and it creates the essence of flavors associated with those fruits. Butyl Acetate has numerous applications that serve a wide range of purposes. Butyl acetate ignites quickly by sparks, heat, and flames. The user must take care to keep it away from any heat sources and avoid breathing it in. While concentrated butyl acetate can irritate the skin and lungs, it causes no harm when ingested in recommended amounts.
- Synonyms: Butyl acetate has the alternate names n-butyl acetate, butyl ester, normal butyl acetate, and butyl ethanoate
- INCI: Butyl Acetate
- Chemical formula: C6H12O2
- CAS #: 123-86-4
- Hazard: 3, Flammable Liquid
Use the links below to view all package sizes for these specific products:
|Appearance||clear and colorless liquid|
|Solubilities||soluble in water, alcohol and propylene glycol|
|Boiling point||258.98°F (126.10°C)|
|Freezing point||-101.2°F (-74.0°C)|
|Molecular weight||116.16 g/mol|
|Weight per gallon||7.3115 lb/gal|
|Class||Ester, Non HAP Solvent, Solvent|
|Grades||Technical, Urethane, Fragrance|
USES AND APPLICATIONS FOR BUTYL ACETATE
Butyl Acetate use include cleaning fluids, extraction solvent, fragrances, ink solvent, lacquers, nail polish, nail polish remover, paint solvent, perfume, pharmaceuticals, photographic, solvent
- Coatings and Construction: While butyl acetate is suitable for consumption in small amounts, it is powerful solvent in larger concentrations. The adhesives, coatings, elastomers, and sealants market use butyl acetate in coatings to moderate dry time and flow. You can also find butyl acetate in certain adhesive products, including adhesive used to package food.
- Food and Nutrition: Butyl acetate becomes a food-grade ingredient when it adheres to standards set by international organizations such as the EU. Due to the substance's naturally fruity taste, the food industry uses butyl acetate as a flavoring. It adds flavor to foods such as ice cream, candy, baked goods, and cheeses when used in small amounts. Food enhanced with n-butyl acetate has a taste reminiscent of apples and bananas.
- Personal Care: In addition to having a distinct flavor, butyl acetate has a unique smell. Butyl acetate's fruity aroma suits cleaning products and personal care items and perfumes.
- Plastics: Cellophane producers sometimes use food-safe butyl acetate as a material in food-safe packaging. Cellophane that includes it may contain only 0.1 percent butyl acetate by weight or less.
n-Butyl acetate, also known as butyl ethanoate, is an ester that is a colorless, flammable liquid at room temperature. It is found in many types of fruit, where along with other chemicals, it imparts characteristic flavors and has a sweet smell of banana or apple.
Brenntag North America partners with butyl acetate suppliers across the world to provide top-quality solvents and ingredients. Count on us to meet your needs for specialty distributed additives.
To offer the best possible service, Brenntag has created a network of over 190 locations across the United States and Canada. This puts us closer to you and allows us to get to know you and understand your requirements. Our team is ready to create custom solutions for your butyl acetate needs.
Butyl acetate is available in pails, metal drums, totes, and bulk quantities.
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.