Global meat production grew four to five times in number between 1961 and 2017. People around the world rely on meat as their main source of protein just as they did in the past. The latest progress in ingredient development allows us to create new foods from this classic staple. To keep up with the ever-changing meat industry, your company must follow current trends in additives. Brenntag North America helps meat businesses push creative boundaries and comply with regulations. We partner with the world's best meat industry additives suppliers.
Types of Ingredients for the Meat Industry
Meat tastes and looks good in its natural form, but modern additives make it even more appealing and easier to sell. Thanks to added ingredients, you can enhance the natural goodness of your products. Our portfolio of over 10,000 additives includes the following types of ingredients for the meat, poultry, and seafood industries:
- Antioxidants and preservatives: On their own, meat products spoil quickly, losing color and flavor over time. Preservatives like citric acid increase shelf life. Sodium-based preservatives keep meat good and add a salty flavor. Antioxidants like vitamin E protect meat from oxygen, which changes taste and appearance.
- Phosphates and humectants: Consumers prefer meat that stays fresh and juicy. Fortunately, glycerine and other humectants keep these products moist and soft. Phosphates serve two purposes. Just like humectants, they retain moisture, but they also preserve flavor, making the meat taste as good as it did off the butcher block.
- Binders and emulsifiers: Texture and consistency are key to creating high-quality, thick food. Starches, cellulose, and proteins add thickness to cooked and processed meat products. Items that include fats and water separate without emulsifiers. Emulsifiers attract water and oil molecules, keeping the mixture together.
- Enzymes: Enzymes break down the proteins in meat, creating a softer texture. They tenderize meat products without the use of tenderizing equipment.
- Flavor enhancers: Flavor additives make meat products taste more complex. Corn syrup and fructose will add a touch of sweetness to your recipe. Hydrolyzed proteins and MSG enhance savory flavors.
We support all producers, including those who maintain and uphold holistic values. Our clean label portfolio includes organic, naturally sourced, and non-GMO ingredients, which serve many of the same purposes as our standard catalog items. You do not have to compromise your mission to follow industry trends.
Benefits of Additives for the Poultry, Seafood, and Meat Industry
Brenntag North America will give you access to thousands of ingredients. You get to control how each of your items makes your customers feel. Appeal to all five senses by improving your meat's smell, taste, texture, and appearance. Our additives let you move your business forward on your terms. Request a custom blend, and we will ration and package it for you, saving time and money.
Endless Possibilities in One Portfolio
Every Brenntag client works with an account manager who specializes in their market. When you work with us, we will give you advice on meat industry trends and how to take advantage of them. Contact us today to request a quote.