The Brennsperse Dispersants and Antiscalants product line delivers effective and economical treatment options for several markets:
|Boiler Water Treatment||Cooling Water Treatment||Detergents and Cleaners||Oil and Gas|
|Reverse Osmosis||Slurry and Mining||Wastewater Treatment (Struvite Control)|
Products from the Brennsperse portfolio help control calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, calcium sulfate, and many other scales and deposits. High market demands for reusing water, water conservation, and the need to use water of lesser quality, all result in scale becoming more prevalent.
Major product categories include: Homopolymers, Copolymers, and Terpolymers
A scale is soluble material in water which precipitates, becomes insoluble, and deposits on a surface. Various factors like temperature, pH, alkalinity, over saturation, or a change in water chemistry can affect the development of scale. Cooling water treatment scale can inhibit heat transfer and restrict water flow. Scale within a boiler will reduce heat transfer which reduces the boiler’s efficiency. In reverse osmosis, scale can restrict the flow and foul the membrane.
As the demands of water reuse and the need to use water of lesser quality continue to grow, silica, barium, strontium, and struvite scale are beginning to appear in cooling and reverse osmosis. Scale is even appearing in wastewater applications.
Dispersants and Antiscalants for Various Markets
The presence of scale and deposits on cooling water exchangers and boiler tubes reduces heat transfer and increases energy consumption. When scale or deposits occur on reverse osmosis membranes, they hinder membrane permeation which increases energy consumption and reduces production. Struvite in wastewater treatment plants restricts water flow and results in the need for periodic cleanings.
Brennsperse Dispersants and Antiscalants are used in cooling treatment, boiler water treatment, reverse osmosis, and wastewater treatment to prevent scale formation by one or a combination of the following methods:
- Threshold Inhibition: Dispersants can distort crystal formation and prevent scale.
- Crystal Modification: Dispersants disrupt, alter, or weaken the formation of a crystal structure.
- Dispersion: The anionic charge of dispersants drive off in various directions, scatter, spread, or repel fine particles preventing scale and deposit formation.
Detergents and Cleaners
The need to prevent dirt, deposits, and scale from forming or redepositing during washing is essential.
Brennsperse Dispersants and Antiscalants help remove and transport dirt, deposits, and scale during the cleaning cycle, keeping them dispersed in the wash water and not redeposited.
These polymeric additives are effective in the detergents and cleaners market with multiple functions similar to their use in water treatment.
Benefits for the detergents & cleaners market include:
- Anti-redeposition: Dispersants keep removed soils entrapped in the wash water, preventing the soil from redepositing back onto the clothing and preventing residues (spots) from forming on hard surfaces.
- Sequestrates: Dispersants prevent precipitation of inorganic salts such as carbonates, phosphates, and silicates on the fabric or surface.
- Spray Drying Additives: Dispersants improve the process of spray dry detergents by reducing slurry viscosity, improving slurry (crutcher) homogeneity, and increasing solids of the crutcher mix, reducing dusty fines, and increasing bead strength
Mining and Slurry Treatment
When mining, the extraction of calcium, phosphate, kaolin, and sand often requires the minerals to be mixed with water to form a slurry.
A slurry is a mixture of a solid and liquid which has a natural tendency to separate. If separation does occur several transportation, storage, and manufacturing problems can arise, including difficulty pumping or problems with production.
Brennsperse Dispersants help with the free flow of slurries by dispersing the slurry solids to slow or prevent separation. As a result, this yields a more consistent slurry.
Four positive things happen when using dispersants in your mining and slurry treatment processes:
- Drag Reduction: Dispersants reduce turbulence to allow for a more even flow.
- Slurry Stabilization: Dispersants yield a more evenly mixed slurry.
- Viscosity Improvement: Dispersants stabilize the overall viscosity of a slurry preventing high and low viscosities.
- Scale Control: Dispersants prevent scale formation which hinders operation.
Uses and Applications for Dispersants and Antiscalants
We're Here to Help
Many Brennsperse Dispersants and Antiscalants are available in various chemistries, molecular weights, percent actives, and pH ranges. Some products carry certain FDA 21CFR clearances, Kosher certifications for food, and NSF/ANSI 60 certifications for drinking water.
Contact a member of our Water Additives Team for details and a consultation on the correct product for your application.