What are phosphates
A naturally occurring mineral, phosphates are commonly used for a variety of products. Phosphate is an ingredient in the fabrication of many chemicals as well as a range of agricultural fertilizers and nutritional supplements for animals.
- Synonyms: Acid Potassium Phosphate, MKP, Monopotassium Phosphate, Phosphoric Acid Monopotassium Salt, Potassium Acid Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate Monobasic
- INCI:Potassium Phosphate
- Chemical formula: PO₄³⁻
- CAS #: 7778-77-0
- Hazard: H318 – Causes serious eye damage
Use the links below to view all package sizes for these specific products:
|Solubilities||slightly soluble in water|
|Freezing point||3038 oF (1670 oC)|
|Molecular weight||136.1 g/mol|
|Class||Phosphate, Phosphate Technical|
|Grade||Industrial, ACS, USP, NF Grade, Kosher, Halal|
Uses and Applications for Phosphates
Phosphate uses include acidulant, adhesives & cements, buffer, fertilizer, i & i cleaners, metal cleaners, pesticides, potable water treatment, poultry, teeth whitening.
- Pharmaceutical : Phosphates are used as binder and filler in solid oral dosage forms which include compressed tablets and hard gelatin capsules.
- Water Treatment: Phosphates are used to reduce corrosion in water mains. Certain ions present in the water (calcium, lead, etc.) combine with orthophosphates to form precipitates that do not dissolve easily. It is used as a sequestering agent in the treatment process.
- Agriculture: Fertilizers are manufactured using phosphates, this promotes the growth of crops and plants.
- Personal Care: Phosphates are used in the formulation of bath products, colognes, dentifrices, mouthwashes, hair products. It serves as a corrosion inhibitor.
- Food and Nutrition: They are used to enhance flavor and moistness in deli meats, frozen food, cereals, cheese and baked goods.
- Others: Phospates are used as an acidic buffer for pH control, in various chemical processing applications.
Phosphates are ingredients in the fabrication of many chemicals as well as a range of agricultural fertilizers and nutritional supplements for animals.
Brenntag North America is a premier supplier of phosphates in fixed and bulk quantities. We team up with the top global suppliers to offer you the best choice and value for your money. Turning to Brenntag gives your business many great advantages and value-added services you will not find elsewhere.
With over 190 distribution centers in the United States and Canada, Brenntag can react quickly and efficiently to supply you with the phosphate qualities and quantities you require. Simply contact our team at Brenntag using one of our convenient contact methods (by phone, by email or using our online message form). Tell us about the types and grades of phosphates you are interested in. You can also tell us about your end products and our experts can help you choose the right manufacturers and formulations.
Phosphates are available in varying quantities.
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.