What is Hydroxypropyl Cellulose
Hydroxypropyl cellulose (HPC) is a cellulose ether in which hydroxyl groups on the cellulose backbone have been hydroxy propylated. It is manufactured by reacting alkali cellulose with propylene oxide at elevated pressure and temperature to yield a highly substituted cellulose ether.
- Synonyms: Cellulose 2 - Hydroxypropyl Ether, HPC, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Hydroxypropylcellulose
- INCI: Hydroxypropylcellulose
- Chemical formula: C56H108O30
- CAS #: 9004-64-2
Use the links below to view all package sizes for these specific products:
|Appearance||white free flowing granular|
|Solubilities||soluble in many organic solvents|
|Molecular weight||80000+ g/mol|
|Grades||Industrial, ACS, USP|
USES AND APPLICATIONS FOR HYDROXYPROPYL CELLULOSE
Hydroxypropyl cellulose uses include pharmaceuticals, rheology modifier, tablet binder, thickener, nonionic water-soluble cellulose ether.
- Pharmaceutical: Hydroxypropyl cellulose is used in the manufacturing of products to help people who are not able to produce their own tears naturally by stabilizing and thickening tears to prevent dry eye states. It is also used as a sieving matrix for DNA separations by capillary and microchip electrophoresis.
- Food and Nutrition: HPC can be used as an emulsifier, film former, protective colloid, stabilizer, suspending agent, or thickener in food, may be also used as a binder in dietary supplements.
- Others: It combines organic solvent solubility, thermoplasticity, and surface activity with the aqueous thickening and stabilizing properties characteristic of other water-soluble cellulose polymers. It is compatible with amphoteric, anionic, cationic, and nonionic surfactants.
A derivative of cellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose is commonly used as an excipient, lubricant, and topical ophthalmic protectant. Hydroxypropyl is also referred to as HPC.
Brenntag North America, we know you need a reliable source for your hydroxypropyl cellulose needs. You want to be sure you’re getting the right quality and quantity of product every time. It doesn’t matter if it’s regular just-in-time deliveries or occasional shipments for your punctual needs — we’re your source if you are looking for where to get hydroxypropyl cellulose.
Professionals working in the pharmaceutical industry know how important it is to follow health and safety regulation when working with chemicals that will enter the public market. When you look for where to buy hydroxypropyl cellulose in the United State make sure to decide on a trusted distributor with experience. When you choose Brenntag North America as your hydroxypropyl cellulose distributor you can have peace of mind that you are receiving a high-quality supply.
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.