WHAT IS DIMETHICONE
Dimethicone is a part of the silicone family that comes in the form of a colorless liquid. Dimethicone is a surfactant as well as an emulsifier, unifying water and oil parts of a mixture. Few products have as many uses as dimethicone. Also known as polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), this silicon-based substance offers numerous benefits across various industries.
- Synonyms: Dimethicone, Dimethyl Silicone Fluid, Dimethyl Silicone Fluid 100 cSt, Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS)
- INCI: Dimethicone
- CAS #: 9006-65-9
- Hazard: Not a hazardous substance or mixture
Use the links below to view all package sizes for these specific products:
|Appearance||Clear Colorless Liquid|
|Solubilities||Practically insoluble in water, very slightly soluble or practically insoluble in anhydrous ethanol, miscible with ethyl acetate, with methyl ethyl ketone and with toluene.|
|Freezing point||-67 °F|
|Weight per gallon||8.04 lb/gal|
|Class||Dimethyl Silicone Fluid, Silicone, Silicone Fluid|
USES AND APPLICATIONS FOR DIMETHICONE
Dimethicone uses include anti-ageing creams & lotions, automobile polish, conditioners, cosmetics, defoaming agent, dielectric cooling fluid, electrical insulating fluids, eye shadow, foundations, furniture polish, hair care, hair colorants, hair conditioner, hydraulic fluid, leather finishes, lipsticks, lubricant, moisturizing cream formulations, mold release agent, nail polish, paint & coatings, pharmaceuticals,etc.
- Coatings & Construction: Dimethicone is also a critical ingredient in rubbery silicone caulks, adhesives, and aquarium sealants, as well as water-repelling coatings, such as Rain-X.
- Personal Care: Dimethicone works as an anti-foaming agent, skin protectant, skin conditioning agent, and hair conditioning agent. It prevents water loss by forming a barrier on the skin. Like most silicone materials, dimethicone has a unique fluidity that makes it easily spreadable and, when applied to the skin, gives products a smooth and silky feel. It can also help fill in fine lines/wrinkles on the face, giving it a temporary “plump” look.
Pharmaceuticals: • It can serve as an internally taken antiflatulence or antacid medicine, by reducing the creation of foam and gas.
• It also plays an essential role in treatments for dry skin, diaper rash, and radiation burns. Dimethicone acts as an emollient, which traps moisture in the skin, allowing the body to heal its dry or damaged surface.
• Another topical use for dimethicone is in treating head lice.
- Industrial: • Performs well in hydraulic applications due to its ability to withstand extreme heat and cold.
• Engine oil, hydraulic fluid, and transmission fluids are some products that benefit from the antifoaming properties of silicones.
- Food & Nutrition: Antifoaming agents added to oil prevent it from bubbling over and splattering when heated. They can also prevent excessive foaming of alcohol and other beverages during and after production.
- Others: Dimethicone is an important component in several toys, including Silly Putty, to which it imparts its unique viscosity and elastic properties, and Kinetic Sand, which mimics the physical properties of wet sand and can be molded and shaped into any desired form.
Dimethicone, belongs to a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds that are commonly referred to as silicones. PDMS is the most widely used silicon-based organic polymer due to its versatility and properties leading to many applications.
Knowing where to get Dimethicone is probably just the beginning of your company’s chemical requirements, and Brenntag can fulfill them all in one place, with 10,000 products, a world-class and about 180,000 customers. We think you will find that the experience, global reach, inventory and commitment to quality and safety inherent in all of our chemical distribution will fit in perfectly with your needs as a chemical supplier or the needs of your industry.
Your best approach will be to contact Brenntag North America. Brenntag is the established global market leader in ingredient and chemical distribution and can fully supply all your Dimethicone and other chemical needs.
Dimethicone is available in 440 lb vendor drums.
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.