Aqualon CMC- T (technical grades) polymers are technical grades of sodium carboxymethylcellulose (CMC). They assay 98.0% minimum CMC on a dry basis; the remainder consists of byproduct salts (primarily sodium chloride and sodium glycolate). CMC-T grades are produced in several viscosity types, in powder and granular forms.
- Rheology control agent
- Thickening agent
- Suspending aid
- Film-forming agent
- Psuedoplastic or thixotropic behavior dependent on degree of substitution
- Water- retention agent
Applications and Usage Notes
- It can help be applied at the size press or calendar waterbox as a surface treatment to reduce porosity, improve grease and oil holdout, control curl, and improve surface properties. It can also be applied in a variety of converting operations because of its thickening, suspending, and adhesive properties.
-When added to paper coating, CMC contributes a high level of water retention and rheology control to the coating formulation. These coating properties help to optimize coat-weight control, improve coater runnability, and enhance finished sheet properties.
-Wet strength for paper towels.
- Mining: Used in a frothing-flotation process, pellet binder, and as a mineral dispersant.
- Ceramics: Acts as a binder, film former, green strength additive, rheology modifier, suspension agent, water retention agent/ controlled water release agent.
- Adhesives: Acts as a suspension agent, thickener, and film former.
- Explosives: Functions as a water blocking agent to prevent degradation of explosive from infiltration of ground water in drilled charged blast holes, and gelling agent for high solids aqueous nitrate (and some other salts) solutions.
- Welding Rods: Serves as a binder.
- Batteries: Used as a binder, film former, and dispersant.
- Cables: Water blocking agent.
- Civil Engineering: Rheology modifier, suspension agent, binder, extrusion aid, water flow blocking agent.
- Mineral Slurries: Acts as a dispersant.
- Textiles and Leather: Used as a binder, additive used as a sizing and finishing agent, and suspension agent.
Typical Product Properties
|7||0.65 to 0.90|
(a) Ranges shown in this table are not necessarily current specifications.
Typical Viscosity Ranges(b)
|Grades DS7||Concentration %||Range 25 degrees C mPas|
(b) Viscosity determined at 25 degrees C using a Brookfield LVF viscometer
Particle size distributions of Aqualon CMC
Aqualon CMC is available with different particle size distributions to meet various production and end use needs. The typical particle size distributions available are in the tables below.
|Designation||Description||Particle Size (d)|
|None||Regular/ Premium||On US 30, 1% max.|
On US 40, 5% max.
|C||Coarse||On US 20, 1% max.|
Through US 40, 55% max.
(d) All screens are US bureau of standards sieve series
|Designation||Description||Particle Size (microns) by Malvern laser diffraction|
|None||Regular/ Premium||d(0.5): 0-250|
Other typical properties of Aqualon CMC-T(a)
|Moisture content, %, max||10.0|
|Bulk density, g/ml||0.75|
|pH of 2% solution||7.5|
|Purity, %, min.||98.0|
(a) Not to be construed as specifications. Specifications are available by request.
|Product||Physical Form||Pkg Type||Net Wgt (lbs)||Net Wgt (kgs)|
|AqualonTM CMC (all grades)||Powder||Bag||50||22.6|
|Aqualon CMC (all grades)||Powder||Pallet||2000||907.1|
Packaging available in 1000 lbs and 2000 lb bags upon request.
CAS Name: Cellulose, carboxymethyl ether, sodium salt