PVP K-30 Polymer
PVP (Polyvinylpyrrolidone) K-30 polymer is a hygroscopic, amorphous polymer. They are linear nonionic polymers that are soluble in water and organic solvents and are pH stable. PVP K-30 forms hard glossy transparent films and have adhesive, cohesive, and dispersive properties.
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) can be plasticized with water and most common organic plasticizers. It is considered to be physiologically inert. Applications take advantage of one or more properties inherent in the polymer, typically due to the pyrrolidone ring.
- High polarity and the resultant proensity to form complexes with hydrogen donors, such as phenols and carboxylic acids, as well as anoionic dyes and inorganic salts.
- Disperancy, where components in a mixture are uniformly distributed through the use of polyvinylpyrrolidone.
- Hydrophilcity, where the water solubility of PVP is its dominant feature and frequently a factor along with other properties valuable to numerous applications.
- Adhesion, taking advantage of the molecular weight PVP formulating in aqueous media, then evaporating sufficient water to generage a solid product for the desired application.
- Cohesivity, where cohesive strength is achieved through a variety of dry blending and granulation techniques.
Applications and Usage Notes
- Adhesives- pressure-sensitive and water-remoistenable types of adhesives, food packaging (indirect food contact), metal adhesives, abrasives, sandcore binder, rubber to metal adhesives and glue sticks.
- Ceramics- binder in high temperature fire prepared products such as clay, pottery, porcelain, brick product, dispersant for ceramic media slurries and viscosity modifier.
- Glass and Glass Fibers- act as a binder, lubricant, and coating agent.
- Coatings/Inks- digital printing coating, ball-point inks, protecting colloid and leveling agent for emulsion polymers/ coatings/printing inks, pigment dispersant, water colors for commercial. art, temporary protective coatings, paper coatings, waxes and polishes.
- Electronic Applications- storage batteries, printed circuits, cathode ray tubes, binder for metal salts or amalgams in batteries, gold, nickel, copper and zinc plating, a thickener for solar gel ponds and as an adhesive to prevent leakage of batteries, serves as an expander in cadmium type electrodes, binder in sintered nickel powder plates.
- Lithography and Photographty- foil emulsions, etch coatings, plate storage, gumming of litho-graphic plates, dampener roll solutions, photo and laser imaging processes, microencapsulation, thermal recording carrier, finisher preserver of lithogrpahic plates, thermal transfer recording ribbons and optical recording discs.
- Fibers and Textiles- synthetic fibers, dyeing and printing, fugitive tinting, dye stripping and dispersant, scouring, delustering, sizing and finishing, greaseproofing aid, soil release agent. Widely used as dye dispersant and to disperse titanium dioxide.
- Membranes- macroporous, multiporous, desalination, gas seperating, liquid ultrafiltration, hemodialysis, selective permeability types of membranes, hollow fiber membranes.
- Metallurgy- processes for both ferrous and non ferrous metals, coating ingreident to aid or remove material from metal surfaces such as copper, nickel, zinc and aluminum.
- Paper- inorganic papers, cellulose papers, rags stock, rag stripping, coloring and beating operations, copying paper, printing paper and electric insulating papers, paper adhesives.
- Polymerizations- acrylic monomers, unsaturated polyesters, olefins, including PVC, styrene beads, substrate for graft polymerization, template in acrylic polymerization.
- Water and Waste Treatment, and Hygiene- clogging of reverse osmosis membranes, water treatment in fish hatchery ponds, removal of oil, dyes from waste water and waste water clarifier in papermaking, in deodorants for neutralizing or irritant and posionous gasa, in air conditiong filters.
Typical Product Properties
|Property||PVP K-30 Polymer|
|Appearance @ 25 degrees C||Colorless to pale yellow aqueous solution||Off white amorphous powder|
|K value (viscosity of 1% solution)||27-33||26-35|
|Color (APHA)||150 max.||80 max.|
|% active||29-31||95 min.|
|% moisture||-||5 max.|
|%Ash( combusion)||0.012||0.02 max.|
|pH (5% aqueous solution)||6-9||3-7|
|Brookefield Viscosity, cps (5% solids @ 25 degrees C)||3||3|
|Brookefield Viscosity -as is @ 25 degrees C||200-500||-|
|Specific Gravity @ 25 degrees C||1.062||-|
|Bulk Density (g/cc)||-||0.4-0.6|
|Film Density (g/cc)||1.207||-|
|Freezing Point degrees C||-2.7||-|
|Specific Heat (cal/g/KC)||0.803||-|
|Molecular Weight (g/mol)||40,000-80,000||40,000-80,000|
|Tg (degrees C)||163||163|
|Product||Physical Form||Pkg Type||Net Wgt (lbs)||Net Wgt (kgs)|
|PVP K-30||Powder||Fiber Drum||110||49.9|
|PVP K-30||Powder||HDPE Drum||100||45.3|
|PVP K-30||Powder||Fiber Drum||200||90.7|
|PVP K-30G||Powder||Fiber Drum||110||49.9|
|PVP K-30 30% solution||Liquid||HDPE Drum||450||204.1|
|PVP K-30 30% solution||Liquid||HDPE IBC||2000||900|
|PVP K-30 solution A||Liquid||HDPE Drum||450||204.1|
|PVP K-30 solution A||Liquid||HDPE IBC||2250||1020.6|
|PVP K-30 polymer||Liquid||Bulk TW||-||-|