REACH is the new EU chemicals legislation dealing with the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals. REACH covers chemical substances as such, in preparations or in articles intended to be released. The regulation replaces numerous EU laws and is complementary to other environmental and safety legislation
What are the objectives?
- Ensure a high level of protection from exposure to chemicals; in order to safeguard human health and the environment
- Provide improved risk management
- Stimulate innovation and competitiveness of the EU chemicals industry
- Shift responsibilities from authotities to industry
Are all substances subject to registration?
Yes, all substances above 1 tonne per year but there are exemotions from certain parts of the legislation, for example, chemicals in food and medicine are covered by other EU laws.
Who is affected?
Virtually everyone in the supply chain dealing with chemical substances will have certain obligations:
- Manufacturers or importers of chemical substances or mixtures of chemical substances located in the EU
- Downstream users processing chemicals, formulating preparations (mixtures) for enduse or using formulated products as part of their business
What are the consequences?
"No Registration - No Market" meaning that non-registered substances and non-registered users will become illegal!