One of the major projects that took place during this time was the installation of an energy efficient chiller and cooling system for finished product and process fluids.
The primary functions of the chiller and cooling system are:
- Cool the manufactured product (ULB Sodium Hypochlorite) for storage, and
- Cool the re-circulating catholyte for re-processing.
The existing cooling system was part of the original design and build of the production unit meaning that it was around 21 years old. This operated with little flexibility and reliability came into question.
The new system was installed at the end of June 2014. The design of the system incorporates a multi-stage cooling capability along with a free cooler unit both of which aimed at providing the right level of cooling power at the right time whilst minimising the energy required doing it.
The free cooler is exactly what it is. Bar a few small pumps, it’s free cooling!
Notwithstanding significant improvement in reliability, the new system enables more tight control of the product temperature which in turn ensures maximum storage life. This is a key factor especially during periods of low seasonal demand.
Like most modern systems the new cooling system was supplied to site in 3 key pre-manufactured sub systems: cooling tower, chiller unit and free cooler. The installation took place over a 72 hour period including shift work. During that period the system was mounted, connected and commissioned and the site was subsequently fully operational on day 4.
The new system will:
- Improve reliability and production throughput – avoid costly plant shutdowns and improve supply security of ULB Sodium Hypochlorite for our customers
- Reduce the energy consumed to provide appropriate cooling – multistage cooling meaning that the site is more ‘carbon’ friendly – reducing energy consumption by 1,800 MWh’s p.a.
- Improve the product temperature control providing longer product storage time.
If you require any further information about our ULB Sodium Hypochlorite production facility in Thetford or would like to discuss your requirements for the product, please contact us via the form below.