Schweizerhall Chemie AG
Schweizerhall Chemie AG was formed in 2001 from the merger of Chemischen Fabrik Schweizerhall AG, Basel with its former subsidiaries Prochimie Avenches SA, Avenches and Solva Chemie AG, Bätterkinden.
The roots of Chemische Fabrik Schweizerhall go back to the first half of the 19th century. After the discovery of a salt deposit in Schweizerhalle in the year 1836, the first Swiss salt works commenced operation. It was converted into a chemical factory a short time later – the “Chemische Fabrik auf Schweizerhalle”, which was specialised in the production of various chemicals. The company relocated its head office to Basel near the end of the last century. At the turn of the century, business activities were expanded to include the petrol business and a feed division which were introduced to the market as additional segments next to the production of chemicals between the two world wars. Chemicals, pharmaceutical raw materials, grain, mineral oils and feed were part of a successful product range for many decades.The internationalisation of business activities and the formation of a global group with various divisions took place starting in the mid-70s of the last century.
Corporate functions were transferred to Schweizerhall Holding AG, which is listed on the Swiss Stock Exchange. As part of the group strategy, the activities of Schweizerhall Chemie AG – boosted by the purposeful takeover of the Synopharm brand as well as the disposal business of Solva Chemie AG – focused on the chemical trade and distribution business starting in the mid-90s.
Schweizerhall Chemie AG was taken over by the Brenntag Group, the global market leader in chemical distribution with its registered office in Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany, in mid-2006. The company has been operating under the name Brenntag Schweizerhall AG since 2007. At the same time, the Christian Chemie AG as well as the Chem-On Vertriebs-AG were integrated.
Christ Chemie AG
Theodor Christ AG was founded by Theodor Christ in 1939, subsequently growing to become involved in the water treatment and chemical distribution fields as CHRIST AG in 1955. In 1993, the economic situation at that time led to the founding of CHRIST CHEMIE AG – a spin-off of the former Christ AG chemical distribution division as an independent company. In order to remain competitive in the European market, a takeover by the former BRENNTAG EUROCHEM GmbH was pursued in 1997.
With the powerful backing of Brenntag, Christ Chemie boldly explored new avenues. The company sought success in new market segments in the interest of diversification and innovation. As a leading international distributor of industrial and food commodities, Brenntag helped its subsidiary to gain a footing in these segments as well. Marketing and distribution concepts were being developed, and soon Christ Chemie would be offering certain commodities in addition to specialty chemicals.
Chem-On Vertriebs AG was a well-known distributor of basic chemicals in the Swiss chemical market. With office space in Zurich and its own warehouse in Zurzach near the border to Germany, the company had selected outstanding locations. As part of its expansion strategy in the basic chemicals business, Brenntag founded Chem-On Vertriebs-AG with its registered office in Zurich in May of 2005. This new company took over the assets of Chem-On AG on July 1, 2005. The Zurzach warehouse is still located in the Solvay (Schweiz) AG industrial park with the option of being supplied with sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid and chlorine bleaching directly from storage tanks. Filling, packaging, labelling and storage takes place on site and is operated by three warehouse employees with great skill and experience. The chlorine gas storage facility requires particular diligence. Smaller-scale mixed orders can also be handled.