What is Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12, also known as cyanocobalamin, comes from intestinal microorganisms, soil, and water. Since plants do not absorb the vitamin B12 present in water and soil, they do not count as a viable source. While many people consume enough vitamin B12, malabsorption can cause a deficiency
- Synonyms: Cobalamin, Cyanocabalamin, Vitamin B12, CN-Cbl α-(5,6-Dimethylbenzimidazolyl)cyanocobamide, Cyanocobalamin, Cyanocob(III)alamin
- INCI: Cyanocobalamin
- Chemical formula: C63H88CoN14O14P
- CAS #: 68-19-9
- Hazard: Not a hazardous substance of mixture
|Appearance||Dark red powder|
|Odor||No characteristic odor|
|Molecular weight||1355.37 g/mol|
uses and applications for vitamin B12
- Food and Nutrition: Nutraceutical companies sell vitamin B12 as a supplement. One kind provides only vitamin B12, and another adds B-12 as part of a B-complex vitamin. Multivitamin formulas and specialized formulas also contain cyanocobalamin. Specialized supplements that contain vitamin B12 include formulas for vegetarian nutrition, focus enhancement, and energy.
- Pharmaceutical Industry: Vitamin B12 is important for growth, cell reproduction, blood formation, and protein and tissue synthesis. Cyanocobalamin is used to treat vitamin B12 deficiency in people with pernicious anemia and other conditions. Cyanocobalamin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Vitamin B12, also known as cyanocobalamin, comes from intestinal microorganisms, soil, and water. Vitamin B12 appears naturally in animal sources such as meat and dairy. However, synthetic versions are also available.
Brenntag North America partners with top vitamin B12 suppliers across the world. Our account managers understand the food industry, and they will work with you the find the perfect formulations for your business. Contact us for a custom quote today.
Let Brenntag know what you’re looking for and we will tell you more about our wide range of vitamin raw materials. We are most proud of our position as a leading U.S. source for raw supplement ingredients and advanced nutraceuticals for the vitamin industry. With over 190 locations across North America, we are strategically positioned to give you the best sales and service possible. Learn more about what Brenntag can do for your business today.
What would you like to do next
This document is for informational purposes only. You accept sole responsibility for reading and complying with the Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s), as well as any other safety information, relating to the products listed herein. The information contained herein is based on Brenntag’s knowledge at the time of publication or release and not on any publications, independent studies, empirical evidence or other form of verification. You should not use or rely on any statements contained herein as a basis for any representations or warranties to your customers or end users as to the safety, efficacy or suitability of any product or for purposes of ensuring your compliance with any laws or regulations. Brenntag makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained herein or as to fitness of any product for any particular purpose. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an authorization to use or an inducement to practice any patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right. Before producing and distributing any product, it is your sole responsibility to adequately test and document the performance of the product and acquire any required intellectual property rights. You assume all risks for failing to do so and Brenntag shall not be liable (regardless of fault) to you, your employees, customers or end users or any third party for direct, special or consequential damages arising out of or in connection with the furnishing or use of this information. Please contact your local Brenntag representative if you have any questions about this information.