At Brenntag, safety, responsibility and sustainability are fundamental aspects of the corporate strategy. So, joining the UN Global Compact (UNGC) in October 2014 was a conscious and logical step for us, through which we officially signed up to the initiative’s ten principles. They now complement the standards which we apply in evaluating all of our business activities.
UNGC is a strategic initiative for companies committing to align their business activities and strategies with ten universally recognized principles in the areas of human rights, labor standards, environmental protection and fighting corruption. The UNGC is the world’s largest joint initiative of socially committed companies and other stakeholders.
In 2014, Brenntag was the first-ever chemicals distributor to sign up to the UNGC.
UN Global Compact: the 10 principles
- 1. Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- 2. Businesses should ensure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- 3. Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- 4. Businesses should commit themselves to eliminating all forms of forced labour.
- 5. Businesses should commit themselves to abolishing child labour.
- 6. Businesses should commit themselves to eliminating discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- 7. Businesses should take a precautionary approach to dealing with environmental challenges.
- 8. Businesses should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental awareness.
- 9. Businesses should encourage the development and distribution of environmentally friendly technologies.
- 10. Businesses should work against all forms of corruption, including extortion and bribery.
Brenntag attaches importance to association work as in a joint approach more can be achieved. That's why we maintain an active dialogue concerning industry-specific issues as a member of relevant technical and industry associations at a local, regional and international level.