Brenntag, the global leader in chemical distribution, finished 2007 with record results. With an increase of 9%, the company’s 2007 revenues climbed to EUR 6.7 billion (US$ 9.1 billion). Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (operating EBITDA) increased by 14%. Eliminating currency exchange movements removes the effects the weakened dollar had on reported results and reveals a more realistic picture of the strong underlying growth, accordingly, sales and operating EBITDA increased by 13% and 18%, respectively.
Brenntag’s Chief Executive Officer Stephen R. Clark:” Brenntag’s solid performance is a reflection of the confidence that our customers and suppliers alike have placed in Brenntag. Both constituents continue to benefit from our unparalleled physical network and service capabilities. During 2007, we completed five acquisitions to improve both our product and geographic portfolios. In addition, capital expenditures totalled EUR 95 million (US$ 130 million), the majority of which provided expanded capabilities, greater efficiency or enhanced safety. We look forward to utilising these new assets to enhance the results of our business partners.”
2007 acquisitions included:
- St. Lawrence Chemical, Inc., a Canadian specialty chemical distributor with expanded organizational knowledge and product offerings in the coatings, food, pharmaceuticals and personal care industries.
- Ulrich Chemical, Inc., a full-line distributor providing an array of products and services to diverse industries in mid western region of the United States.
- Natural World, an Italian specialty distributor with extensive technical expertise in the dairy and bakery industries as well as in food performance products.
- Abaci A.S., a chemical distributor that expanded Brenntag’s Turkish capacities into the cosmetics, industrial and household cleaning and detergents sectors with particular product strength in the surfactants and oleo chemical lines.
- The UK distribution business of Hexion specialties from Euroresins, the distribution subsidiary of DSM Composite Resins, providing a complete range of epoxy resins and curing agents for coatings, civil engineering and formulating applications.
Major 2007 capital expenditures included:
- A new facility in Hamburg, Germany, opened after a 2 year construction period with state-of-the-art technology in filing, order picking and mixing and loading areas, a high quality laboratory as well as a clean room with new filling technology that meets GMP standards.
- A full service custom formulation and blending facility for feed additives in Kedzierzyn-Kozle, Poland with an annual capacity of 25,000 tons.
- The extensive renovation and capacity upgrades of the solvent and inorganic tank farm at Brenntag’s facility in Valencia, Spain.
- Investments into the relocation and upgrade of the tank farm for solvents and mixing & blending equipment in Rotterdam, Netherlands.Investments into the relocation of the facility from Wimborne to Wareham, UK including the upgrade of tanks, machinery and drumming facilities.
- The completion of a new technical center in Reading, Pennsylvania, USA to house Brenntag Solutions Group, which supports specialty chemical sales in Brenntag Specialties, Inc. and our regional companies.
- The completion of the construction of a new plant in Orlando, Florida, USA which increases the sodium hypochlorite production capacity in Florida in excess of 50 million gallons per year.
- The acquisition of a large-scale distribution center in Querétaro, Mexico with 14,000 square meters (150,000 square feet) warehouse space including 1,000 square meters (11,000 square feet) of temperature controlled rooms for fine chemicals and vitamins and capacities to receive and park up to 80 railcars simultaneously. A full scale liquid tank farm and filling facility will be added in 2008.
- As part of an ongoing process, significant investments in upgrading tank storage and bulk drumming facilities were done throughout all major facilities in Latin America to meet or exceed compliance with fire safety codes.
Clark said: "2007 was a strong year for Brenntag and while today's turbulent market conditions in the financial sector may cause after shocks in the global economy, we believe Brenntag is in a unique position to help customers and suppliers deliver both profitable growth and cost savings in such challenging conditions".
Brenntag operates in excess of 300 locations with more than 11,000 people in 55 countries. In keeping with the company’s strong position in world markets, Brenntag is committed to providing value to its customers and suppliers through superior supply chain logistics, single sourcing, technical assistance and other value added services. Brenntag offers an unrivalled, extensive and state-of-the-art distribution network for industrial and specialty chemicals to its suppliers and customers alike throughout the world.